4 Nov 2019

Relictors in the Indomitus Era - my thoughts and direction

"IN OUR DARKEST HOUR, THEY ARE A BLAZING BEACON OF HOPE, YET ONLY A FOOL WOULD BELIEVE THAT EVEN WARRIORS SUCH AS THESE WILL BE ENOUGH TO ENSURE VICTORY OVER THE MYRIAD FOES THAT ENCIRCLE US. WE MUST FIGHT, AS WE HAVE ALWAYS FOUGHT; WE MUST ACCEPT THE STRENGTH OF THE PRIMARIS SPACE MARINES AND LET IT BECOME OUR OWN; WE MUST SERVE THE EMPEROR TO OUR LAST BREATHS" 
- Marneus Calgar, Ultramarines Chapter Master.
The Indomitus Crusade and the Ultima Founding were things I thought that had passed the Relictors by, Excommunicate Traitorious and hunted to near oblivion by the Grey Knights and Inquisition, robbed of their home world Torva Minoris, my Relictors have been secretly campaigning for the Emperor in the fringes and shadows, hunting for relics, fighting Chaos with Chaos artifacts - my Relictors 5th Company is at full strength and the 4th is slowly growing. The Relictors fluff background updated to the Indomitus Crusade era can be read HERE.
Then I saw the above Chaplain in White Dwarf... had WD forgotten its own fluff, or had the Cicatrix Maledictum allowed Roboute Guilliman and Archmagos Belasarius Cawl cast aside small infractions and invite back the loyal misguided Brothers wherever they can be found fighting the good fight?
The loyal Relictors are falsely accused as Excommunicate Traitorious, just for dabbling in Chaos, fighting Chaos with Chaos, using the relics and artifacts they find to battle the foul Chaos forces. Would Roboute Guilliman risk reinforcing the Relictors with new Marines if he had doubts on their loyalty?
(not quite a Relictor Primaris, but close)
The seed of hope flourished inside, I had the chance to paint up some Intercessors in a grey scheme (above) which I really enjoyed but I had committed to painting Primaris Forces as Scythes of the Emperor, I painted two - just two... (a familiar tale, like my now sold off T'au)
But my heart is with the Relictors... and I can paint Relictors grey armour quite fast... well, 10yrs fast...
So, I sent an email to GW asking for clarification, I even emailed Graham McNeill the co-writer of the Index Astartes on the Relictors when they were introduced in WD281 who is now independent of GW and living Stateside... alas nothing back from Graham but I did get a response and chat with Dan at White Dwarf who wrote - "In answer to your question, I have checked with the Warhammer 40,000 team and, at present, there hasn't been any new background written about the Relictors. Essentially that means their future hangs in the balance. They may be forgiven and given access to Primaris Marines, they may not be. The Chaplain painted by Paul was just a fun painting project for him – it isn't based in any background."

So I wrote back - "Dan, thank you for the reply, and the clarification. I guess this is quite neat in itself as it leaves me free to interpret it how I want, the Galaxy is a big place after all... I’ve kinda assumed with the galaxy wide Indomitus Crusade and RG’s rather straight forward thinking he will forgive the Sins and see the Penitent Crusade as sufficient penance, bring back all loyal forces to the Banner of the Imperium and dispatch some Greyshields to the Relictors location for indoctrination under stipulation of more rigorous scrutiny by Chaplains to ensure the purity of minds and souls (albeit turn a blind eye to Relictors specific ‘dark’ practice of using chaos to fight Chaos..."

And Dan wrote back - "I mean, that's definitely the best course of action – it's your hobby after all, so go for it. I'm currently building Primaris Death Company for my Blood Angels. They can't have them, but that's not stopping me! Cool models first, rules later. ;) Dan" (Hmmm... so rules for Primaris Death Company later eh? ;) haha) But he is right, it's my hobby, do as I please.

And I saw this poster, Primaris Relictors 4th Company colours confirmed?... albeit just a cut and paste of existing known Chapters to sell Primaris to existing collectors! But, I think I have come to a decision, to some maybe a cop out - but they are my WeeMen and I want to grow my Relictors force beyond the now superseded 'old-marines'... no new kits, no new non-Primaris stuff, barely a mention and a few pictures in the SM Codex that wasn't Primaris - even the Characters are becoming Primaris (yeah lets risk the mightiest heroes of the Imperium first in a process that might kill them, not test and perfect the process on basic Marine stock first...) The fluff might be a bit meh, but it is what it is.
Another turn of the handle and I think 'old-marines' will be removed from the Codex, the announcement of the Index Rules forever is a thinly veiled disguise on shelving 'old-Marines' but without pi$$ing off the current collectors, and a drive by GW to move us to Primaris - why not, they are a company who want to sell the new merchandise, new miniature kits. I just lament the whole Primaris shoe-horned fluff, its a bit meh... and the shift to tacticool away from GrimDark, but I understand the delicate path GW had to tread not to p%$$ off the entire Space Marine majority of its customers by introducing tru-scale marines - that is effectively what Primaris are.
So, to bring this ramble to a close, yes perhaps to some I've sold out; perhaps I just see the writing on the wall for 'old-marines'; perhaps I'm just embracing the future of my Space Marine aspects of my hobby - but I've gone with my heart, as Dan says "Its your hobby... cool models first, rules later" - as the Relictors battle cry says "Strength of Will, Courage of Will" -  I have the hobby courage to embrace change, my Relictors WILL have reinforcements, I love the Chapter background, I know Primaris are very vanilla but Relictors are genestock of UM and DA and UM are vanilla, I will have to grow it myself lacking official direction... so...
### PRIORITY COMMUNICATION ### SEGMENTUM SOLAR ASTRONOMICAN ###
From: Primarch Roboute Guilliman, Gene-Sire and Father, Lord Commander of the Emperor's Forces, Primarch of the Ultramarines Chapter, High Lord of Ultramar.
To: Void Fleet Relictors Chapter, Successor Chapter of Ultramarines and Dark Angels Chapters, Astartes Praeses Chapter Founding.
ULTIMA ENCRYPTION - WIDE BROADCAST - RELICTORS CHAPTER CIPHER CODE 

Sons, Brothers, hear this broadcast. You are needed - it is our darkest hours, the forces of the heretic, xenos and chaos beset humanity from all sides, the Cicatrix Maledictum has rent the galaxy in two. Now is the time Brothers to return to the fold. Your duty done, your Penitent Crusade comes to an end. I have ordered the Inquisition and Knights of Titan to cease the hunt. My Brother the Lion is lost, I am your remaining gene father - I order you to return to Segmentum Solar for immediate re-arming and Crusade.


Many indiscretions now have to be overlooked, forgiven, even embraced, the Codex Astartes does not fit this fight, I have perhaps taken a path outside my own guidance, my instruction to Belasarius Cawl to embrace technology where it can benefit mankind and not to be afraid of the unknown, tied down by hundreds of years of superstition and false religion - my slumber has taken humanity along a path I did not intend.


Wherever you travel, in your Fleet ships, Sons, Brothers, return to the fight - I have instructed Archmagos Cawl to redirect the nearest Greyshields Primaris Fleet to your last known position near the system of Balor, Nephilim Sector - use them, grow them and push the darkness out of the galaxy so the Light of the Emperor can shine bright once again in Imperium Nihilus.


Sons, we are at endless war. I order all our loyal prodigal Sons to return to the fold. In our Fathers's name The Emperor, beloved by all - Come home.

### END OF TRANSMISSION ###
### CIPHER CODES VERIFIED - SOURCED IMPERIAL PALACE ASTRONOMICAN, HOLY TERRA ###

I hereby give you, Relictor Primaris reinforcements...
(You might recognise this Battle Brother as a Scythe of the Emperor earlier)

Battle Brother and Battle BIG Brother
Cheers, Siph.

8 comments:

  1. Well, if that directive from The Avenging Son himself is a fake then its a bloody convincing one. You have no choice but to return to the Emperor's embrace. And you shall know no fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I made that up ;) but the Marneus Calgar one is genuine. Ahem, I mean - yes! Of course it's real - look at the astronomican ciphers! Haha

      Delete
    2. You should keep that heresy to yourself, brother.

      Delete
  2. Hobby On! Seems to me you are on the right course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I’ve made the decision, I do feel better about it. Looking forward to painting some of my Primaris backlog grey!

      Delete
  3. "...without pi$$ing off the current collectors..."

    Yeah, mission NOT accomplished. I just liquidated 2 armies, and Orks aside I basically only have Kill Teams left of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I know... maybe “without making current hobbyists throw a double six and walk away” is more accurate!

      Delete
  4. It comes down to whatever works for you in the end. Glad you are happy with it.

    ReplyDelete

For the Emperor! (and other Xenos welcome...)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin